Petkeen is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More
African Dwarf Frogs For Sale: 2022 Breeders List
PetKeen advocates for adopting before shopping. We understand there are many reasons for seeking a breeder, though, so we encourage it to be done the right way. Learn more.
African dwarf frogs (Hymenochirus) are becoming increasingly popular as pets. African dwarf frogs inhabit rivers and streams of Central Africa. They spend their entire life submerged in freshwater and do not leave their water source like other species of frogs to do. They are undemanding pets that can be housed with a variety of fish species.
Finding a healthy African dwarf frog can be difficult, so the best option would be to search for a breeder online. We have put together a list of some of the best, reputable, and affordable African dwarf frog breeders. This will give you plenty of options to choose from so that you can find the right age, size, and coloration of an African dwarf frog for you.
African Dwarf Frog Breeders
Purchasing an African dwarf frog breeder online allows you to choose an ideal variation of this species for you without having to go looking through different pet stores to see if they have the African dwarf frog for sale that that you are searching for. These breeders typically have a large selection of African dwarf frog stock for sale on their website. Each breeder has been chosen for its excellent reviews, fast shipping, and good customer service.
Through these websites, you will be able to find African dwarf frogs such as the African clawed frog or the standard African dwarf frogs. These breeders also sell rare variations such as the golden and albino African dwarf frog, which are difficult to find elsewhere.
Aquarists Across Canada
This breeder specializes in shipping African dwarf frogs throughout Canada. They sell healthy African dwarf frogs, along with a variety of aquatic plants, fish, and supplies. The pricing is affordable, and they have an excellent selection of African dwarf frog variations available, such as the golden, clawed, and albino African claw frog.
This breeder stocks a variety of aquatic creatures, supplies, and plants. They are popular for their fast shipping and a great selection of livestock. This breeder has the blonde and standard African dwarf frog for sale, and you can choose between the small, medium, or large sizes.
Aqua Import stocks and sells a variety of aquarium creatures and accessories. They sell the Hymenochirus curtipes African dwarf frog variety for a reasonable price.
This aquatic breeder and seller have the standard African dwarf frog for sale. They also have a wide selection of aquatic products and livestock available.
Here you will find the Hymenochirus boettgeri African dwarf frog at a medium size. This website also sells a variety of aquatic supplies and livestock.
African Dwarf Frog Breeders Near Me
Kijiji is a selling website where many African dwarf frog breeders sell their stock from.
PetSmart has a live sale of African dwarf frogs for sale from their breeding stock.
Petco has an online website where they sell their African dwarf frog stock from. The variety available will differ depending on what they have in stock.
African Dwarf Frog Breeders That Ship
Aquarium Fish (California)
This breeder and seller have a wide selection of African dwarf frogs for sales such as the rare golden African dwarf frog and a female breeder dwarf frog.
African Dwarf Frog Rescues
Rachels Frog Adoption Centre
This is a dedicated rescue for amphibians, but mainly all varieties of African dwarf frogs that are up for adoption. There is a variety of care guides and information available on the website as well.
How Much Does an African Dwarf Frog Cost?
The cost depends on the variation of African dwarf frog you are looking to buy. The standard African dwarf frog will cost between $1 to $5. Color variations such as the golden or albino dwarf frog will cost between $3 to $10. This makes them cheap pets and since they are social, you should purchase a pair or more of these frogs which increases the cost.
Some breeders will specify the size and age of the African dwarf frog, which will determine the overall cost. Small African dwarf frogs will cost significantly less in comparison to adults or juveniles.
Things to Ask an African Dwarf Frog Breeder
The most important question to ask an African dwarf frog breeder is the quality of their stock and genetic lineage. You want to ensure that you are getting a healthy frog that will live for a long time, and this starts from the breeders’ conditions.
Ask the breeder about their thoughts on breeding African dwarf frogs. This will help determine if they mass breed these frogs for the monetary value, or if they care about the health of their stock.
Ask the breeder for pictures of the breeding conditions, so that you can see how well the African dwarf frogs are cared for. The conditions should be sanitary and not overcrowded which is a breeding area for disease.
Lastly, you should ask about the refund or replacement policies that the breeder has in place. If your African dwarf frog is dead on arrival, the breeder should be able to give you a refund or replace the frog for free at your benefit.
The 5 Things to Know Before Buying an African Dwarf Frog
1. Since African dwarf frogs are invasive in some states, it is important to ensure that they are legal in your area. Talk to your local wildlife conservation center to find out the rules and regulations regarding keeping these creatures in captivity.
3. The minimum tank size for a pair of African dwarf frogs is 10 gallons. Anything less is too small, and bigger is better in this case. Bowls should be avoided as they are a form of inadequate housing.
4. They require a good filter to keep the water clean, alongside regular water changes to dilute their waste.
5. African dwarf frogs prefer naturalistic tanks. The layout should contain river sand, rocks, and lots of live plants.
It is best to check if there are any African dwarf frogs for adoption in your area, before purchasing one from a breeder. Although purchasing African dwarfs from breeders is a good idea if you are looking for a high-quality selection. The breeder will be able to tell you more history and genetic information than rescue centers.
We hope that this article has helped you find an African dwarf frog breeder in your area.
Featured Image Credit: Charlie Tyack, Shutterstock
Oliver (Ollie) Jones – A zoologist and freelance writer living in South Australia with his partner Alex, their dog Pepper, and their cat Steve (who declined to be pictured). Ollie, originally from the USA, holds his master’s degree in wildlife biology and moved to Australia to pursue his career and passion but has found a new love for working online and writing about animals of all types.
- African Dwarf Frog Breeders
- United States
- African Dwarf Frog Breeders Near Me
- African Dwarf Frog Breeders That Ship
- African Dwarf Frog Rescues
- How Much Does an African Dwarf Frog Cost?
- Things to Ask an African Dwarf Frog Breeder
- The 5 Things to Know Before Buying an African Dwarf Frog
- 1. Since African dwarf frogs are invasive in some states, it is important to ensure that they are legal in your area. Talk to your local wildlife conservation center to find out the rules and regulations regarding keeping these creatures in captivity.
- 2. African dwarf frogs are social animals and should be kept in pairs or more. They do get lonely, and this can affect their health and longevity.
- 3. The minimum tank size for a pair of African dwarf frogs is 10 gallons. Anything less is too small, and bigger is better in this case. Bowls should be avoided as they are a form of inadequate housing.
- 4. They require a good filter to keep the water clean, alongside regular water changes to dilute their waste.
- 5. African dwarf frogs prefer naturalistic tanks. The layout should contain river sand, rocks, and lots of live plants.