An airstone can be a benefit to the health of your fish tank and aquariums. They help keep the water clean and clear, and they reduce other bacteria that can not only clog your filters but also cause issues with your aquatic life. These stones come in many shapes, sizes, and looks depending on your needs.
Although they are helpful, picking one out is not always easy. There are many different options on the market, and if you are not sure what to look for, you could end up with something that will do more harm than good in the long run. This is where we come in to help.
In the article below, we have reviewed the six best air stones for aquariums. We will share the particulars on each one such as the size, effectiveness, use, color, and much more. If you need more info, you should also check out the buyer’s guide at the end where we will go over some extra tips on finding the right one for you.
Keep reading to find out more!
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
|Best Overall||EcoPlus Round||
|Best Value||Pawfly Bar||
|NICREW Multi-Colored LED||
The 6 Best Airstones for Aquariums- Reviews 2020
1. EcoPlus Round Air Stone – Best Overall
Our favorite pick is the EcoPlus Round Air Stone. This is a mineral stone that comes in gray. You can also find it in a variety of sizes depending on your needs. You can use this stone in indoor and outdoor water features. Fish tanks, aquariums, ponds, and other flowing water will benefit from the stone.
You will also find the EcoPlus is easy to set up and easy to clean. It’s durable, plus you can hide it under gravel if you do not want it to be seen. This is a great product for keeping your fish and other aquatic pets breathing well.
Another pro of this option is it’s quiet. It releases a stream of fine and small bubbles that will not disturb your fish. The natural pores absorb any harmful debris in the water without causing any disruption to the pH levels. This easily fits most air filters, and it’s our favorite choice for an aquarium airstone.
2. Pawfly Air Stone Bar – Best Value
Finding a good air stone can be tough on its own, but finding an effective choice is even harder when you are on a budget. Not to worry, though. We have found an effective and affordable option in the Pawfly Air Stone Bar. This water purifier comes in a four-set of four-inch green and blue bars.
This option is non-toxic and adds a decorative air to your tank. They can also be used in any water feature that has flowing water such as fish tanks, coy ponds, etc. Not only are they an attractive piece for your aquatic designs, but they are also functional. These bars will keep the water clean and clear.
One drawback of this option, however, is it’s not as versatile with air pumps as our first pick. On the other hand, it will go with 0.16-inch or 4mm inner diameters. The overall material is minerals and plastic (tip), plus there is little noise. What you will find is a smoothing stream of small bubbles. As we mentioned, this is our favorite airstone for aquariums for the money.
3. AQUANEAT Air Stone – Premium Choice
Our next pick is the AQUANEAT Air Stone. This is a 4 x 2-inch filtration helper that comes in a long cylinder form. It is available in a ten, two, or four back depending on the size of your water feature. Speaking of that, you can use this option in a lot of aquatic circumstances such as fish tanks, aquariums, ponds, large reservoirs, plus it can be used in saltwater tanks.
This purifier is non-toxic, safe, and washable. It will fit 3/16-inch standard tubing, and it helps accelerate oxygen replenishment in the water. You can also use it with a high input air filter to increase the circulation of the water. What’s more, it releases small bubbles that are fine and will not disrupt your tank.
The AQUANEAT is effective at keeping your tank’s water clean and fresh. You also only need to soak it for 30 minutes before using it. The only downside to be aware of is it’s more expensive than our top two choices.
4. VIVOSUN Air Stone
The VIVOSUN Air Stone is a 4 x 2-inch cylinder that comes in a two-pack. This product can be used in aquariums and hydroponic pumped water units to clean the H20 of impurities. It will also help to circulate the water. You will be able to use the stone with 4mm inner diameter standard tubing, as well.
The VIVOSUN produces small bubbles that will not startle your aquatic pets or cause them any stress. They are made with high-quality material that is safe and durable. You will also find there is not a lot of noise with the pump attached. This airstone can be used in many different water features from fish tanks to aquariums. Keep in mind, however, that this is not the best option from larger areas such as coy ponds.
You should also note that the plastic connection end is not as durable as the stone itself. It can break off easily especially if it’s left on the bottom of the tank. Beyond that, the product is easy to set up and clean.
5. NICREW Multi-Colored LED Aquarium Air Stone
In the number five spot, we have the NICREW Multi-colored LED Aquarium Air Stone. This is a round, 2-inch stone that has a set of LED lights. They will slowly change color to give your aquarium a unique look. One thing to keep in mind is the stone is not as effective at cleaning out the water as other options.
You can use the NICREW on the bottom of the tank, or you can attach it to the wall using the suction cups. It fits 3/16-inch tubing inner diameter, yet the size is not always accurate. Many times, it doesn’t fit the air filter. When it does fit, however, it is easy to set up.
You should also be aware that this option produces larger bubbles. This can cause your aquatic life to become nervous or disorientated. You will also need to let the airstone soak for about an hour before you use it in your aquarium.
5. Hygger Aquarium Air Stone Kit
Our final pick is the Hygger Aquarium Air Stone Kit. This is another round option that is available in either a two or four-inch size. You can use this purifying product in fresh or saltwater and other water features such as coy ponds, fish tanks, and many others. Unfortunately, the main drawback is it’s not as effective as other options.
Something else to consider is the Hygger is louder and creates bigger bubbles. This can cause an issue with your plant and live animals. Not only that, but there is a quicker algae growth rate, and the stones are harder to clean than most. You will find they need to be replaced often.
This air stone fits 4mm inner diameter tubing. It is made of white aluminum and brown alumina. The stone itself is durable, but it’s hard to set up. In general, this is our least favorite option for an airstone.
Air Stones are an important aspect of your aquarium and other water features where you have flowing H2O. When water is left to stand still, it becomes stagnant and will end up with harmful bacteria. To keep fish tanks clean and clear, you will need to have an air pump to keep the water circulating. Beyond that, however, you will also need to purify the water.
Airstones are made of porous material that will trap debris. In turn, this will keep the water clean and clear. It also helps the oxygen levels in the water which your plants and fish need to survive.
Picking out the right air stone can take some time and thought. Take a look at these tips for finding the right product for your tank.
- Size: Just like any filtration system, you need to have an air stone that will be able to accommodate the size of your water feature. For example, you will need a heavy-duty option for a coy pond, while a 15-gallon fish tank can survive with less help.
- Type of Tank: You will also need to consider the type of tank you have. Many saltwater tanks require specific air stones as these aquariums need to be bioactive to support the living plants and fish.
- Location: Most experts believe that you should keep your air stone at the bottom of the tank. You do not want the bubbles to be too close to the air filter, or it won’t be effective. Though this goes back to size, you want to make sure your pick will be effective.
- Style: Many air stones also provide a stylish decor piece inside the tank. On the other hand, some brands can be submerged under the gravel. The choice is yours depending on your taste.
- Air Pump Size: Another important aspect of the decision is the size of your air pump. You will want to make sure that the air stone fits onto the inner diameter of the tubing for two pieces to connect properly.
- Bubbles: Bubbles are another side effect of the air stone. You want to aim for small and fine bubbles that create a curtain on the side of your tank. Bigger air streams can frighten fish, pls they can suffocate from the oxygen.
- Materials: Most air stones are made of minerals. You can find other options that have a different make-up, but the best options will be natural.
- Specifications: Lastly, different plants and aquatic life may require specific pH levels, mineral content, etc. When adding an air stone to your tank, make sure you know what the recommended type and size of stone is best for your tank inhabitants.
We hope that you have enjoyed the above reviews, and they have helped you determine which water purifier is best for you and your tank. At the end of the day, these stones are designed to keep the water clean and clear. Essentially, the stones keep oxygen moving through the H2o.
If you want the best of the best, we recommend going with the EcoPlus Round Air Stone. This is an effective option that creates small bubbles and helps reduce harmful debris. If you need something more affordable, go with the Pawfly Air Stone Bar. This is a cost-friendly product that will keep your fish and plants happy and healthy.
Featured Image Credit By: hygger, amazon
An avid animal lover, Roland started this blog to help all varieties of pets and their owners on their journey to living their best lives.
- A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
- The 6 Best Airstones for Aquariums- Reviews 2020
- Buyer’s Guide