Petkeen is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commision. Learn More
Can Hamsters Eat Mushrooms? What You Need to Know!
Mushrooms, the fleshy fruiting bodies of fungi, are a favorite addition to many tasty meals. There are hundreds of different species of edible mushrooms, each with its own unique flavor and nutritional benefits, making mushrooms a favorite in culinary circles. Many small mammals enjoy foraging for raw mushrooms in the wild, and you may be wondering if it’s safe to occasionally treat your hamster with a delicious mushroom.
But can hamsters eat mushrooms? Are mushrooms safe for hamsters? While there is no conclusive answer and some owners feed mushrooms to their hamsters without any trouble, our recommendation to is avoid adding them to your hamster’s diet. Mushrooms are highly acidic, for one thing, and while store-bought mushrooms are non-toxic and safe for humans, there is little research about their toxicity in hamsters, so we recommend being safe rather than sorry.
In this article, we’ll look at the potential benefits and hazards associated with giving mushrooms to your hamster and why we recommend leaving them out entirely. Let’s get started!
Potential benefits of mushrooms
There are so many different types of mushrooms, it can be difficult to pinpoint all the potential benefits!
All these mushrooms are great for humans, with a host of nutritional benefits, and some of them are good for hamsters too. In general, all the previously mentioned mushrooms are low in cholesterol, sodium, and saturated fat and can be a great source of fiber, protein, and iron, among other things.
There are also a ton of delicious mushrooms found in the wild, although even the most well-meaning mushroom foragers may misidentify mushrooms, as many can appear so similar. If you choose to give your hamster mushrooms, we highly recommend giving them store-bought, cultivated mushrooms only.
Can hamsters eat mushrooms?
Unfortunately, there have been few studies done in terms of the effects of mushrooms on hamsters, and the research that has been done was performed with toxic mushrooms. This is why we recommend strongly against feeding your hamster wild mushrooms, as they are easily misidentified.
That said, very small amounts of store-bought mushrooms on occasion is unlikely to do any harm to your hamster, and a small nibble now and then is probably fine. Due to the lack of research on the subject, however, we recommend against giving your hamster any mushrooms at all. Even with all the potential health benefits, it’s too much of a risk, and your hamster can easily obtain these nutrients from their regular food source or other healthy treats.
Potential risks of feeding mushrooms to hamsters
All mushrooms, even the well-loved, common Button and Oyster varieties, contain trace amounts of carcinogenic compounds in their raw form. Even though this is a negligible amount when it comes to humans and shouldn’t do any harm, in tiny mammals like hamsters, it can potentially cause health complications. Luckily, these carcinogens are vastly negated during cooking, but there are other hazards too.
Mushrooms are mildly acidic, which may cause gastric upset and dental issues, especially when eaten raw. Also, we highly advise against cooking mushrooms with oil, butter, or seasonings before giving them to your hamster, as none of these ingredients are good for their health.
With the lack of studies and scientific papers related to hamsters and mushroom consumption, the potential health hazards and lack of any real nutritional benefits that hamsters cannot easily obtain elsewhere make us recommend against feeding mushrooms to your hamster. There are many proponents on the internet who will argue that small amounts of mushrooms are perfectly fine for hamsters, and while that may be true, it may also not be — we just don’t know.
It’s our opinion that since many other foods, vegetables, and fruits contain real, proven benefits for hamsters, why risk giving your hamster mushrooms? If your hamster somehow ingested a piece of button mushroom, there is likely no reason to worry, but we would advise against making it a part of their regular diet.
Nicole is the proud mom of Baby, a Burmese cat and Rosa, a New Zealand Huntaway. A Canadian expat, Nicole now lives on a lush forest property with her Kiwi husband in New Zealand. She has a strong love for all animals of all shapes and sizes (and particularly loves a good interspecies friendship) and wants to share her animal knowledge and other experts’ knowledge with pet lovers across the globe.