There are three things you need to give your chinchilla to make them feel happy and comfortable in your home. Healthy food and a safe place to rest are the most essential, but you shouldn’t forget about giving them toys to play with! Chinchillas are very curious and active pets, and will greatly appreciate anything that keeps them entertained.
If you’ve ever wanted to build your own custom chinchilla toys, then this list of 10 DIY chinchilla toys you can build today is right up your alley. With options for every DIY skill level, you’re sure to find something that’s fun for you to build, and fun for your chinchilla to play with.
So, let’s dive in ad learn how to make chinchilla toys!
Th 8 DIY Chinchilla Toys:
1. Natural DIY Wood Chinchilla Chew Toy Plans from Let’s Love Chinchillas
Sticks and chew toys are one of the biggest recurring costs that chinchilla owners can expect. If you’ve ever wondered how to process your own wood to make chinchilla chew sticks, this recipe from Let’s Love Chinchillas has your answers! It’s a little bit time-consuming, but not difficult to do at all.
- Sticks from woods safe for your chinchilla to eat
- Herbs (optional)
- Filtered water
- Large pot
- Baking sheet
2. Easy Wooden DIY Chinchilla Ledge Plans from Pet Helpful
Chinchillas are huge fans of climbing and perching on ledges. So why not make them a special ledge for their cage with these DIY plans from Pet Helpful? As long as you have a drill, everything else is available with a quick trip to the hardware store, and making the ledge itself is fast and easy.
- (1) 6” piece of 1″x 5″ kiln dried pine
- (2) Hanger Bolt
- (2) Wing nut and (2) fender washer (sized to hanger bolt)
- Tapered drill bit
- (2) Hex nuts
- (2) Wrenches (sized to hex nuts)
- Socket (sized to hex nuts) and socket driver
- Electric sander or sandpaper
3. DIY Hanging Chinchilla Bed Plans from Guinea Pig Cages
This adorable hanging bed from the forums at Guinea Pig Cages is perfectly sized and shaped for a chinchilla. You’ll need a small amount of sewing skills, but no specialized equipment – making it an easy DIY project that you can tackle today.
- Fabric of choice
- Velcro (optional)
- Sewing machine (optional)
- Sewing needle
- Tape measure
4. Hanging Wood DIY Chinchilla Toys Plans from LY Chinchillas
Every chinchilla loves having wood to chew on. Why not turn this love for trees into a fun toy to play with? These super simple plans from LY Chinchillas give you plenty of room to customize your toys to suit your chinchilla’s size and personality.
- Chinchilla safe wood and chews, 6” or less
- Thin drill bit
- Durable, but pliable metal wire
- Wire cutters
5. Cardboard Cottage DIY Chinchilla Toy Inspiration from Cats & Rabbits & More
Rabbits and chinchillas have an awful lot in common, including their love of chewing cardboard boxes and climbing in makeshift houses. The easiest plan on our list that even a beginner DIYer will know how to make guinea pig toys. This DIY cottage from Cats & Rabbits & More is a perfect way to upcycle all those amazon boxes you have lying around your house.
- Cardboard boxes
- Scrap cardboard for ramps and platforms
- Carpet scraps (if desired)
- Box cutter or X-acto knife
- Non-toxic glue (if attaching carpet)
6. Bendy Bridge DIY Chinchilla Toy Plans from Hammy Time
Hammy Time has generously contributed this DIY plan for a bendy bridge using common household objects! Start saving your toilet paper tubes now, because these easy plans take no time at all once you have about a dozen of the cardboard inserts.
- Cardboard toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes (about 13)
- Scrap wood
- 14-gauge wire
- Wire cutters
7. DIY Chinchilla Playhouse Plans from Pet DIYs
Originally designed for ferrets, these simple DIY houses are a perfect match for chinchillas as well. You can find a basic outline at Pet DIYs, but be prepared to do some of your own customizations to finish it!
- Chinchilla safe wood (for example, kiln dried pine)
- PVC pipe and connectors
- Sisal string
- Scrap wood or dowels
- Eye hooks
- Desired accessories
- Wood screws
- Non-toxic glue
- Drill and drill bits
- Saw (electric recommended)
- Tape measure
8. Ten Toilet Paper Tube DIY Chinchilla Toy Plans from Erins Animals
Let’s finish strong with not just one more chinchilla toy, but 10! Each of these super simple toys from Erins Animals uses not much more than extra toilet paper tubes and string, as well as common crafting tools.
- Cardboard toilet paper tubes
- Sisal string
With plenty of ideas for DIY toys, you’re now ready to make your chinchillas days even more fun and exciting. Thanks for reading through our list of great toys you can make for your chinchilla today – we hope you found something that makes you and your chin happy as can be!
For more DIY projects check out these posts:
- 15 DIY Guinea Pig Toys You Can Build Today
- 9 DIY Hedgehog Toys You Can Make Today
- 9 DIY Hamster Toys You Can Make Today
- Best Chinchilla Dust Baths
Featured Image: tahanadakila from Pixabay