Last Updated: January 26, 2021
There are three things you need to give your chinchilla to make them feel happy and comfortable in your home. Healthy food and a safe place to rest are the most essential, but you shouldn’t forget about giving them toys to play with! Chinchillas are very curious and active pets, and will greatly appreciate anything that keeps them entertained.
If you’ve ever wanted to build your own custom chinchilla toys, then this list of 10 DIY chinchilla toys you can build today is right up your alley. With options for every DIY skill level, you’re sure to find something that’s fun for you to build, and fun for your chinchilla to play with.
So, let’s dive in ad learn how to make chinchilla toys!
1. Natural DIY Wood Chinchilla Chew Toy Plans from Let’s Love Chinchillas
Sticks and chew toys are one of the biggest recurring costs that chinchilla owners can expect. If you’ve ever wondered how to process your own wood to make chinchilla chew sticks, this recipe from Let’s Love Chinchillas has your answers! It’s a little bit time-consuming, but not difficult to do at all.
2. Easy Wooden DIY Chinchilla Ledge Plans from Pet Helpful
Chinchillas are huge fans of climbing and perching on ledges. So why not make them a special ledge for their cage with these DIY plans from Pet Helpful? As long as you have a drill, everything else is available with a quick trip to the hardware store, and making the ledge itself is fast and easy.
3. DIY Hanging Chinchilla Bed Plans from Guinea Pig Cages
This adorable hanging bed from the forums at Guinea Pig Cages is perfectly sized and shaped for a chinchilla. You’ll need a small amount of sewing skills, but no specialized equipment – making it an easy DIY project that you can tackle today.
4. Hanging Wood DIY Chinchilla Toys Plans from LY Chinchillas
Every chinchilla loves having wood to chew on. Why not turn this love for trees into a fun toy to play with? These super simple plans from LY Chinchillas give you plenty of room to customize your toys to suit your chinchilla’s size and personality.
5. Cardboard Cottage DIY Chinchilla Toy Inspiration from Cats & Rabbits & More
Rabbits and chinchillas have an awful lot in common, including their love of chewing cardboard boxes and climbing in makeshift houses. The easiest plan on our list that even a beginner DIYer will know how to make guinea pig toys. This DIY cottage from Cats & Rabbits & More is a perfect way to upcycle all those amazon boxes you have lying around your house.
6. Gymnastic Bars DIY Chinchilla Toy Inspiration from Uncle Beast Books
The one and only ChinGym system from Uncle Beast might be the best way to watch your chins jump, run, and frolic in your house. After a short trip to pick up PVC pipe and natural fiber rope, these parallel bars are easy to assemble and loads of fun to let your chinchillas play on.
7. Bendy Bridge DIY Chinchilla Toy Plans from Hammy Time
Hammy Time has generously contributed this DIY plan for a bendy bridge using common household objects! Start saving your toilet paper tubes now, because these easy plans take no time at all once you have about a dozen of the cardboard inserts.
8. Hay Tube DIY Chinchilla Toy Plans from Rabbits United
Another ingenious use for toilet paper rolls, this time from Rabbits United, will give your chinchilla hours of playtime as it scrabbles for treats. Just be sure and choose a natural fiber string (like sisal), as synthetic fibers can harm your chinchilla if eaten.
9. DIY Chinchilla Playhouse Plans from Pet DIYs
Originally designed for ferrets, these simple DIY houses are a perfect match for chinchillas as well. You can find a basic outline at Pet DIYs, but be prepared to do some of your own customizations to finish it!
10. Ten Toilet Paper Tube DIY Chinchilla Toy Plans from Erins Animals
Let’s finish strong with not just one more chinchilla toy, but 10! Each of these super simple toys from Erins Animals uses not much more than extra toilet paper tubes and string, as well as common crafting tools.
With plenty of ideas for DIY toys, you’re now ready to make your chinchillas days even more fun and exciting. Thanks for reading through our list of great toys you can make for your chinchilla today – we hope you found something that makes you and your chin happy as can be!
For more DIY projects check out these posts:
- 15 DIY Guinea Pig Toys You Can Build Today
- 9 DIY Hedgehog Toys You Can Make Today
- 9 DIY Hamster Toys You Can Make Today
- Best Chinchilla Dust Baths
Featured Image: tahanadakila from Pixabay
An avid animal lover, Roland started this blog to help all varieties of pets and their owners on their journey to living their best lives.
- 1. Natural DIY Wood Chinchilla Chew Toy Plans from Let’s Love Chinchillas
- 2. Easy Wooden DIY Chinchilla Ledge Plans from Pet Helpful
- 3. DIY Hanging Chinchilla Bed Plans from Guinea Pig Cages
- 4. Hanging Wood DIY Chinchilla Toys Plans from LY Chinchillas
- 5. Cardboard Cottage DIY Chinchilla Toy Inspiration from Cats & Rabbits & More
- 6. Gymnastic Bars DIY Chinchilla Toy Inspiration from Uncle Beast Books
- 7. Bendy Bridge DIY Chinchilla Toy Plans from Hammy Time
- 8. Hay Tube DIY Chinchilla Toy Plans from Rabbits United
- 9. DIY Chinchilla Playhouse Plans from Pet DIYs
- 10. Ten Toilet Paper Tube DIY Chinchilla Toy Plans from Erins Animals
- Final Thoughts