Last Updated: January 26, 2021
Rabbits need toys to keep them from getting too bored in their hutch. Toys can also keep bunnies healthy by engaging their minds, keeping them physically active, and helping file down their teeth.
You don’t have to spend a large amount of money on toys for your bunnies. In fact, using basic household items, you can learn how to make rabbit toys!
We’ve created a list of eight DIY rabbit toys you can make at home today to keep your bunny happy.
1. DIY Bunny Snuffle Mat, From Bunny Approved
This DIY rabbit toy tutorial from Bunny Approved shows you how to take everyday household items like a sink mat and felt strips to create a fun, interactive toy for your bunny. You can hide treats among the felt strips, which will engage your bunny’s natural foraging instincts.
2. Twig Tree DIY Rabbit Toy, From Bunny Proof
If you’re looking for a way to use everyday household items and be more eco-friendly, then this DIY twig tree rabbit toy tutorial from Bunny Proof is perfect. It’s made from a toilet paper roll and sticks — that’s it! Your bunny will enjoy chewing the sticks and shredding the toilet paper roll.
3. DIY Rabbit Chew Toy, From A Farm Girl in the Making
This DIY rabbit chew toy tutorial from A Farm Girl in the Making shows you how to use natural outdoor materials to give your bunny something to chew on. The wrapped bundle of sticks provide an excellent toy for your bunny to file down its teeth and promote good dental health.
4. Festive DIY Rabbit Toy, From Petplan
This festive DIY rabbit toy tutorial from Petplan shows you how to use leftover holiday materials, like a shipping box, to create a toy for your bunny. You can use a plain cardboard box that’s free of ink, glue, tape, and staples and fill it with treats for your rabbit to forage for. Your bunny will love nibbling the box and burrowing inside.
5. DIY Cardboard Shreddable Mat Rabbit Toy, From The Rabbit House
This DIY rabbit toy tutorial from The Rabbit House shows you how to repurpose a cardboard box into a fun and interactive toy for your bunny. The toy encourages your bunny’s natural digging and shredding instincts. It can also be a foraging toy if you add herbs or treats between the cardboard layers.
6. DIY Digging Box Rabbit Toy, From Bunny Proof
This digging box with shredded paper tutorial from Bunny Proof shows you how to make a simple toy for your rabbit out of household items. Instead of tossing out that shipping box, why not repurpose it as a toy for your bunny? You can fill the box with shredded paper, and your bunny will love to dig and search through it.
7. DIY Rabbit Grazing Mat, From 101Rabbits
This DIY grazing mat video from 101Rabbits on YouTube shows you how to take leftover cardboard and turn it into a fun toy for your bunny. With the paper strips, this toy encourages your bunny’s natural foraging instincts. You can also hide treats under the paper strips for your bunny to find.
8. DIY Egg Box Rabbit Toy, From Best 4 Bunny
This DIY egg box rabbit toy from Best 4 Bunny tutorial shows you how to take an egg carton and turn it into a foraging toy for your bunny. All you need to do is fill it with treats and hay. Your bunny will be engaged and entertained, shredding the egg carton and getting to the treats inside.
Entertaining your rabbit doesn’t have to be expensive. Learning how to make rabbit toys is a great way to reuse household products and other natural materials you can find out in your yard. Your bunny will love the DIY toy just as much as a store-bought one.
- Related Read: Rabbit Supplies List & 12 Things You Need for a Rabbit
Featured Image: Jennifer Chen,Unsplash
An avid animal lover, Roland started this blog to help all varieties of pets and their owners on their journey to living their best lives.
- 1. DIY Bunny Snuffle Mat, From Bunny Approved
- 2. Twig Tree DIY Rabbit Toy, From Bunny Proof
- 3. DIY Rabbit Chew Toy, From A Farm Girl in the Making
- 4. Festive DIY Rabbit Toy, From Petplan
- 5. DIY Cardboard Shreddable Mat Rabbit Toy, From The Rabbit House
- 6. DIY Digging Box Rabbit Toy, From Bunny Proof
- 7. DIY Rabbit Grazing Mat, From 101Rabbits
- 8. DIY Egg Box Rabbit Toy, From Best 4 Bunny