Pet Keen is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.

Home > Insurance > Does Trupanion Pet Insurance Cover Surgery? 2024 Update

Does Trupanion Pet Insurance Cover Surgery? 2024 Update

a shih tzu dog being checked by two vets

Pets are family, and when family has a medical emergency, hospital bills are the last thing you want to think about. Luckily, pet insurance is there to give you peace of mind. Still, pet insurance has its limits. You may be wondering if your Trupanion policy will cover your pet if they need an expensive surgery. The answer is…most likely. Let’s take a closer look.

divider-multipet

Does Trupanion Cover Surgery?

Trupanion pet insurance covers up to 90% of the cost of eligible veterinary surgeries. This includes both emergency and non-emergency surgeries. Some of the most common surgeries that are covered include:

  • Spay/neuter surgery
  • Gastrointestinal surgery
  • Soft tissue surgery
  • Orthopedic surgery
  • Cancer surgery

Trupanion also offers a lifetime per condition limit, which means that your pet will be covered for the cost of surgeries related to the same condition over the course of their lifetime. There is no limit to the number of times your pet can visit the vet or how much you can spend on surgical treatments.


Top Rated Pet Insurance Providers

Most Customizable
Our rating: 4.4 / 5
Best Customer Service
Our rating: 4.7 / 5
Best Dental Coverage
Our rating: 4.5 / 5

What Isn’t Covered by Trupanion?

Trupanion surgery coverage is not automatic. You must enroll your pet in a policy before they need medical attention in order for the treatment to be covered.

There are also some surgeries that are not covered by any pet insurance company. These include:

  • Preventative surgery (elective surgery not medically necessary to treat an illness or injury)
  • Breeding related surgery
  • Cosmetic surgery
  • Surgeries related to pre-existing conditions
  • Surgeries during the waiting period

While these surgeries may not be covered, it’s important to remember that most pet insurance policies, including Trupanion, offer comprehensive coverage for a wide range of medical needs. This means that even if your pet needs surgery for a condition that isn’t covered, you’ll still have protection for things like routine check-ups, vaccinations, and prescription medications, which can save you some money for things that may be surgery related, even if they don’t pay for the surgery itself.

veterinary surgeon treating dog in surgery
Image Credit: VP Photo Studio, Shutterstock

What Fees Do I Pay?

When you enroll in a Trupanion policy, you’ll pay a monthly premium. This is the amount that you’ll pay every month to keep your pet covered. In addition to your monthly premium, you’ll also have to pay a per-incident deductible. This is the amount that you’ll need to pay out-of-pocket before your pet’s insurance policy kicks in.

Next, you’ll pay for any services that Trupanion doesn’t cover, such as exam fees and taxes. Finally, you’ll pay 10% of the remaining bill and Trupanion will pay the other 90%.

For example, let’s say that your monthly premium is $30, and your per-incident deductible is $100. This means that if your pet needs surgery that costs $1,000, you’ll pay the first $100, the office exam fee, and 10% of the remaining balance. Trupanion will cover the remaining $900, or 90% of covered costs.

How to File a Claim for Surgery Coverage

If you think your pet may need surgery, the first step is to contact your veterinarian. They will be able to help you determine if the surgery is medically necessary and what the expected cost will be.

Once you have this information, you can contact Trupanion to start the claims process. You can do this by logging in to your online account or by calling the customer service number on the back of your pet’s insurance ID card.

You’ll need to provide your pet’s medical records, a treatment plan from your veterinarian, and an estimate of the expected costs. Once you’ve submitted this information, Trupanion will review your claim and let you know how much of the cost they’ll cover.

If you have any questions about whether your pet’s surgery will be covered, you can contact Trupanion’s customer service team. They’ll be happy to help you understand your policy and coverage options.

pet insurance form
Image Credit: Rawpixel.com, Shutterstock

divider-multipet

Pet Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

What is a waiting period?

Covered services are not available until the waiting period has been met. The waiting period is the length of time from when you first enroll in a policy until coverage becomes effective. If your pet needs surgery during the waiting period, it most likely won’t be covered.

What is a pre-existing condition?

A pre-existing condition is any illness or injury that your pet has been diagnosed with before enrolling in a policy. Unfortunately, pet insurance companies will not cover any surgeries or treatment for pre-existing conditions.

How much does pet insurance cost?

The cost of pet insurance varies depending on a number of factors, including the type and breed of your pet, your geographic location, and the type of coverage you choose.

elderly border collie dog in spectacles considers buying pet insurance
Image Credit: Pixsooz, Shutterstock

What if I can’t afford to pay my pet’s medical bills?

If you’re struggling to pay your pet’s medical bills, there are a few options available to you. Many veterinarians offer payment plans that allow you to spread the cost of treatment over time.

How do I use Trupanion to pay at my vet’s office?

If you have a Trupanion policy and your vet is in Trupanion’s network of approved vets, you can give your veterinarian your credit card information for the part that you owe and give them your insurance policy information for your pet. They’ll be able to bill Trupanion directly for covered services. You’ll just need to pay your deductible, copayment, or coinsurance at the time of service.

How often do I need to renew my pet’s insurance policy?

Most pet insurance policies need to be renewed annually. However, some companies offer monthly or quarterly payment plans.

I’m not sure if my pet needs insurance. How do I decide?

The best way to decide if pet insurance is right for you is to consider how much you’re willing and able to pay out-of-pocket for your pet’s medical care. If you’re comfortable with paying unexpected veterinary bills, then you may not need insurance.

However, if the thought of an unexpected $1,000 vet bill makes you anxious, then pet insurance may be a good option for you. It’s important to remember that pet insurance is not intended to cover routine care, such as vaccinations and checkups.

Do I need pet insurance if I have a healthy pet?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. It’s ultimately up to you to decide if you want to purchase pet insurance for your healthy pet.

Some people feel more comfortable knowing that their pet is insured in case of an unexpected accident or illness. Others prefer to self-insure by setting aside money each month to cover potential veterinary costs.

Find The Best Pet Insurance Companies in 2024

divider-multiprint

Conclusion

If you have an existing Trupanion policy and your pet needs surgery, the good news is that it will most likely be covered. In this article, we’ve also answered some of the most common questions about pet insurance policies. We hope this information will help you make an informed decision about whether pet insurance is right for you and your furry friend.


Featured Image Credit: KongNoi, Shutterstock

Our vets

Want to talk to a vet online?

Whether you have concerns about your dog, cat, or other pet, trained vets have the answers!

Our vets