Pet Keen is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.

Home > Cats > My Cat Ate a Poisoned Mouse, What Should I Do? Safety Tips & Pest Control

My Cat Ate a Poisoned Mouse, What Should I Do? Safety Tips & Pest Control

cat carrying a dead mouse

Vet approved

Dr. Marta Vidal-Abarca Photo

Reviewed & Fact-Checked By

Dr. Marta Vidal-Abarca

Veterinarian, BVSc GPCert (Ophthal) MRCVS

The information is current and up-to-date in accordance with the latest veterinarian research.

Learn more »

If your cat ate a poisoned mouse, it is normal for you to worry and wonder if your cat is in danger and what to do. The truth is that there are different types of poisons, some more dangerous than others, and the fact that your cat ate one or more mice also plays a role. Your cat will most likely be fine if they ate a poisoned mouse, as the amount of poison ingested by the rodent is usually small. However, it is always important to consult your veterinarian if your cat had any contact with a poisoned mouse and, of course, if your cat ate poison directly.

Feel better? We hope so—there’s nothing worse than worrying about an issue such as your cat being accidentally poisoned while trying to rid your home of a pest. But can your cat become sick or violently ill from eating a poisoned mouse? The short answer is that it’s possible but unlikely. It is always easier to answer this question if you know the type of poison the rodent had and if your cat has eaten just one bite or if this is an ongoing issue. Read on to learn more about this topic and other valuable information to keep your cat safe.


What Happens if My Cat Eats a Poisoned Mouse?

Having a cat decreases the chance of a rodent, especially mice, setting up shop in your home—just the presence of your cat is usually enough to deter them from hanging around, whether your cat is a hunter or not. However, if you choose to use poison to kill rodents, keep in mind that there’s a high chance of your cat accessing the poison and getting very sick. If it is a poisoned rodent or mice that your cat has eaten, then the risk is lower than if your cat ingested the poison directly.

As explained, the real risk from rodenticides is when an animal (your cat) ingested poisons from bait stations or some area in and around the home where they can gain access to eat the poison directly. It’s vital to keep any type of poison out of your cat’s reach, and if you suspect your cat has ingested poison, call the pet poison helpline immediately.1

Burmese cat face before pounce hunting to toy mouse
Image by: Viacheslav Lopatin, Shutterstock

Are There Safer Methods to Kill Mice & Other Rodent Pests?

Yes! As much as we wish it weren’t so, rodent pests can pose a health risk when they invade your home. Some mice and rats can transmit diseases to humans. This can occur through handling of rodents directly, having contact with their urine or feces, rodent bites, or being bitten by an infected flea or tick carried by them. Some of the diseases that rodents can transmit to people are Hantavirus, Salmonella, Tularemia, typhus, and others. It is important to remove dead mice or rats as soon as possible to protect yourself, your family, and your pets.

Let’s look at safer methods for your cat and other pets, as well as humane ways of taking care of the problem.

  • Catch and release trap: These traps are inexpensive and allow the mouse or other rodent to be caught without hurting them. You can then release them in a safer area away far from your home. Using a catch-and-release trap is the most humane way, as it spares the rodent’s life.
  • Electric traps: If you want to kill mice humanely, you can use electric traps that kill the mouse or rodent instantly with no health risk to your cat or other pets because these traps do not use poison. Peanut butter is a good way to lure them in, upon which the rodent will be electrocuted instantly.
  • Goodnature Quick Kill Trap: These traps are a bit pricey, but no poison is used, and it’s a quick and humane way to rid your home of rodents.
  • Bait stations: Bait stations are designed to lure the rodent inside the bait stations, where it will then eat the poison. Once the rodent is inside, it cannot come back out. Since bait is used, the risk to your cat, although low, is still present.

Avoid the Use of Glue Traps

No one likes having a rodent problem, but using glue traps is an inhumane way of getting rid of rodents. Many humane ways exist to keep rodents from suffering. In addition to glue traps being inhumane, the glue trap can get stuck on your cat or other pets. If you, by chance, run across a rodent trapped on a glue trap but still alive, and you want to save it, pour cold canola or vegetable oil between the rodent and the glue trap—this will allow the rodent to break free without pain. Ensure you set the rodent free in a safe area far away from your home.

Pretty ginger cat playing with little gerbil mouse on the table
Image by: Sergey Zaykov, Shutterstock

How to Keep Your Home Rodent-Free

Keeping a hygienic home is vital in keeping pesky rodents away. However, even the cleanest of homes fall victim to rodent infestations. Nonetheless, here are ways to help prevent these infestations.

  • Keep trash cans closed with a lid.
  • Take trash to your outdoor trash receptacle when full.
  • Put pet food and treats in airtight, sealed containers (same for bird food).
  • Seal compost piles and avoid putting meat, dairy, or baked/cooked foods in the compost pile.
  • Pick up fallen fruit from fruit trees in your yard.
  • Keep pet waste picked up in your yard.
  • Check the outside of your home and plug access points or holes.

Tips for Keeping Your Cat Safe During Pest Control

The most effective way to keep your cat safe during pest control treatment is to avoid using poison. You can use one of the safer ways mentioned above that are both humane and keeps your pets safe. Keep your cat away from any bait or poison traps, and contact your vet immediately if you suspect your cat ate a poisoned mouse.

Remember, it’s unlikely your cat will get sick, as it would take your cat eating many poisoned mice or rats to cause harm, but it’s better to be on the safe side.


Final Thoughts

Using poison to kill rodents is always very risky when you have pets in the home. Rodents do not hibernate, which makes your home an excellent spot to keep warm during cold months. Rodents can choose your attic, walls, or even your kitchen cupboards and appliances to use as their sanctuary in the winter. They can also pose fire risks from chewing on electrical wires, as well as possibly spreading disease.

If you’re concerned about using poison, you can use the safer methods mentioned in this post. It’s unlikely your cat will get sick from eating a poisoned mouse but practicing safer techniques is wise.

See also:

Featured Image Credit: Markos-Loizou, Shutterstock

Our vets

Want to talk to a vet online?

Whether you have concerns about your dog, cat, or other pet, trained vets have the answers!

Our vets