OC Raw dog food is a family-owned business that aims to create tasty raw dog food recipes that are as nutritious and natural for dogs as possible while remaining affordable.
This company started small but began to make its way into the dog food industry after its facilities were certified and inspected by the CA Department of Food and Agriculture. OC Raw dog food creates its recipes with wholesome, natural ingredients that meet the nutritional guidelines according to the AAFCO and each recipe is healthy and balanced to form a complete diet for dogs.
If you are interested in learning more about what OC Raw dog food has to offer your dog in terms of natural nutrition while understanding the companies’ foundations, then this article will give you all the information you need to know.
At a Glance: The Best OC Raw Dog Food Recipes
|OC Raw Dog Chicken Freeze-Dried Food
|OC Raw Dog Beef Freeze-Dried Food
|OC Raw Dog Turkey Freeze-Dried Food
|OC Raw Dog Chicken & Fish Freeze-Dried Food
|OC Raw Dog Rabbit Freeze-Dried Food
OC Raw Dog Food Reviewed
Who Makes OC Raw Dog Food and Where is it Produced?
OC Raw dog food is a brand of natural-based dog foods and treats that are created by a small family-owned business that mainly distributes its dog foods throughout the United States. OC Raw dog food is created in the family’s commercial kitchen in Corona, California has been certified and all of this company’s dog food recipes meet the standards set for dog food according to the AAFCO. The company does not specify where the ingredients are sourced from, only that they are natural and thoughtfully sourced.
Which Types of Dogs is OC Raw Dog Food Best Suited For?
The OC Raw dog food recipes seem to be best for dogs that are prone to allergies from fillers and artificial ingredients that can be found in many commercial dog foods. It is suitable for all dog breeds that do better on a raw diet that contains ingredients that consist of lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
OC Raw dog food claims that each of its recipes is complete and balanced for dogs and made with the highest quality ingredients. There is a range of different ingredients that you can try from this brand, with meat as the main ingredient.
The recipes from OC Raw dog food are safe for dogs of all life stages and the recipes work on a calorie content feeding guide which states that if you have a younger puppy, they may need the recipes that have a higher caloric content than others, whereas if you have a senior dog, they may need the recipes that have fewer calories.
Discussion of the Primary Ingredients (Good and Bad)
OC Raw dog foods recipes contain meat as the main ingredient, which includes fish, chicken, goat, rabbit, lamb, duck, and turkey or a mixture of different proteins. The rest of the ingredients consist of fruits such as apples and blueberries, along with vegetables like broccoli and spinach.
Most of the vitamins and minerals your dog receives from this food will come from the ingredients themselves which are kept raw and blended into a complete and balanced raw protein dog food.
The recipes also include calcium carbonate, which is a stabilizer, along with cod liver oil which is great for joint support. The ingredients in OC Raw dog foods recipes are easy to read and there are no hidden or potentially harmful ingredients.
Each recipe is grain, potato, pea, and lentil free and the meat ingredients are USDA certified. Most OC Raw dog foods recipes contain 90% meat, bone, and organs, while the other 10% is fruits, vegetables, and supplements.
A Quick Look at OC Raw Dog Food
OC Raw dog foods may still be new to the raw dog food industry; however, they do have a few recalls for some of their products and a warning from the FDA that we have listed below.
FDA Warning for OC Raw Dog Food
In February 2022, the FDA issued a warning1 to OC Raw dog food that it potentially contains poisonous or deleterious substances that may render injuries to dog health. After an inspection of the facility where the dog foods and treats are manufactured it was found that it violated the FDA’s hazard analysis and risk-based preventative control requirements for animal foods. This is a fairly recent warning to the company and not much is known about the outcome and whether any changes have been made.
Reviews of the 3 Best OC Raw Dog Food Recipes
Let’s take a look at some of OC Raw dog foods’ most popular recipes:
1. OC Raw Dog Chicken and Produce Freeze-Dried Food
OC Raw Dog Chicken and Produce Freeze-Dried Food is the most popular food available. It contains premium muscle cuts of chicken, and the meat is USDA certified and forms 90% of the food. This makes the recipe high in raw protein and contains chicken as the main ingredient followed by chicken bone and livers.
The rest of the ingredients are vegetables and fruits, along with supplements that form 10% of the recipe. The supplements in this recipe include calcium carbonate and cod liver oil, while the fruits and vegetables consist of apples, carrots, acorn squash, beets, and broccoli. This recipe does not contain any grains, peas, potatoes, or lentils.
2. OC Raw Dog Beef and Produce Freeze-Dried Food
This is a frozen high-protein OC Raw Dog Beef and Produce Freeze-Dried Food that contains beef as the main ingredient. Ground beef is the first ingredient in the food along with beef bone, tripe, and heart which form 90% of the food. The other 10% of the food consists of fruits, vegetables, and supplements such as spinach, beets, apples, alfalfa, and kelp powder.
It does not contain any added preservatives and is free from grains, lentils, peas, and potatoes. This recipe includes a slightly higher fat content to help improve dogs’ coats. Since this is a frozen recipe, it will need to be stored and thawed appropriately before feeding.
3. OC Raw Dog Turkey and Produce Freeze-Dried Food
Turkey is the main protein found in this freeze-dried food and is divided into ground turkey bone and turkey gizzard to make up 90% of the food. OC Raw Dog Turkey and Produce Freeze-Dried Food also contains a variety of fruits, vegetables, and supplements such as calcium carbonate, kelp powder, cod liver oil, carrots, and apples.
This specific recipe from OC raw dog food contains a higher protein content with a low-fat content than their other recipes. This recipe does not include any grains, lentils, peas, or potatoes and most of the vitamins and minerals are sourced from the meat, supplements, fruit, and vegetables themselves rather than being added to the food.
What Other Users Are Saying
OC Raw Dog Food has a line of 8 different dog food recipes that are all protein-based and consist of a mixture of fruits, vegetables, and supplements. They have two different formulas available for their dog foods, which include freeze-dried and frozen. This brand of dog food contains all-natural ingredients and is true to the raw dog food industry. Although OC raw dog food has had some recalls and a warning, many dog owners cite that dogs who are prone to allergies or food sensitivities do well on the brand’s recipes.
If you are looking for a completely raw dog food that contains meat, fruit, and vegetables as the main ingredients where the food’s vitamins and minerals come from and your dog is prone to allergies or food sensitivities, then this is a great raw dog food brand to check out.
Featured Image Credit By: OC Raw Dog