Note: This article’s statistics come from third-party sources and do not represent the opinions of this website.
Pet ownership is increasing in India and is likely to continue to rise. Over the past decade, many people have seen an increase in disposable income and quick growth and expansion of urban developments. These factors, combined with people changing their attitudes about pets and welcoming them as family members, have led to India’s fast-growing pet industry.
While a little less than half the country does not own a pet, there are plenty of facts to know about the pet market there. From trends to spending averages, here are the stats to know about 12 of India’s pet industry in 2022, including:
The Top 12 Indian Pet Industry Statistics
- India’s pet care market is growing at 13.9% annually, making it one of the fastest-growing pet care markets in the world.
- It is estimated that India’s pet care industry will reach $800 million by 2025.
- By 2022, India’s pet care industry was projected to reach $490 million.
- Dogs are the most popular pet in India, with an estimated 31 million pet dogs projected by the end of 2023.
- Cats are the second most popular pet in India, owned by 20% of pet owners.
- In 2021, 41% of people in India did not own a pet.
- Every year, 600,000 pets are adopted in India.
- There are approximately 80 million homeless dogs and cats in India, living either on the streets or in shelters.
- The pet food market in India is over $310 million.
- Pet owners in India spend approximately Rs 4,000 per month on their pets, or $52.00.
- The Indian veterinary healthcare market is valued at $169 million and is expected to reach $186 million by 2027.
- Pet groomers in India can expect to make between $130 and $325 per month.
Indian Pet Industry Trends
1. India’s pet care market is growing at 13.9% annually, making it one of the fastest-growing pet care markets in the world.
(Hindu Business Line)
The growth of the pet industry in India is recorded in the following categories: pet food, pharmaceuticals, grooming, toys, and accessories. This industry is one of the fastest-growing pet care markets in the world. This growth can be attributed to a rise in nuclear families, urbanization, and a change in attitude toward pet ownership. Pets are now being viewed as family members, and people want to give them the best care that they can.
2. It is estimated that India’s pet care industry will reach $800 million by 2025.
Even though the COVID-19 pandemic had negative impacts on the Indian economy, it also led to an increase in pet ownership. People adopted pets during times of lockdowns and isolation, so pet food manufacturers expect to see sales growth in the coming years. The growing population of pets, particularly dogs, will help India’s pet care industry reach $800 million by 2025.
3. By 2022, India’s pet care industry was projected to reach $490 million.
Many of the pet owners in India are from middle- or upper-class families. These pet owners are starting to seek higher-quality products for their pets. They have become more conscious of what they’re offering their animals and want the items to be the best that they can be. This attitude helped the pet industry in India grow at 14% annually to reach $490 million by 2022.
4. Dogs are the most popular pet in India, with an estimated 31 million pet dogs projected by the end of 2023.
The growing population of dog owners in India led to an increase in pet food sales. From 2014 to 2018, pet food sales rose from $139 million to $285 million.
Indian Pet Ownership Statistics
5. Cats are the second most popular pet in India, owned by 20% of pet owners.
An increase in cat ownership in India has also led to an increase in pet food sales. Cats made good companions for those isolated due to the pandemic lockdowns.
6. In 2021, 41% of people in India did not own a pet.
Pet ownership is on the rise in India, but it isn’t fully embraced by everyone yet. Just over half of the country owns a pet. Regardless, sales in the pet industry are expected to continue to grow.
7. Every year, 600,000 pets are adopted in India.
Declining birth rates and an increasing aged population in India have contributed to approximately 600,000 pets being adopted each year. People are looking for pets to be their companions, and they are willing to spend more on supplies to keep these animals healthy. The attachments that people have to their pets, viewing them as status symbols, and humanizing them, have all contributed to India’s rising pet industry.
8. There are approximately 80 million homeless dogs and cats in India, living either on the streets or in shelters.
(Stray Animal Foundation of India)
There are approximately 62 million stray dogs and 9.1 million stray cats on the streets of India. There are 8.8 million homeless dogs and cats living in shelters. Many people have adopted animals from the street just by opening their doors to a homeless dog or cat and taking them in. A whopping 85% of people in India do not want homeless dogs on the streets anymore, but plenty of work must be done to make that happen.
Pet Spending Statistics in India
9. The pet food market in India is over $310 million.
The pet food category market is the largest in the pet care industry at $310 million. Pet pharmaceuticals follow at $90 million. Pet accessories account for $65 million. Other pet care products make up the remaining $35 million of an industry of over $490 million.
10. Pet owners in India spend approximately Rs 4,000 per month on their pets, or $52.00.
Indian pet owners spend approximately Rs 4,000 per month on their pets, which is equivalent to USD$52.00. Most of this amount, between 75% and 80%, goes toward food and treats. The remaining is spent on accessories, grooming supplies, toys, and services.
11. The Indian veterinary healthcare market is valued at $169 million and is expected to reach $186 million by 2027.
An Indian pet care startup called Wiggles made veterinary consultation available online across India in March 2020. In 2019, the Delhi government launched the first emergency veterinary hospital available 24/7 for pet owners. It provides care to both pets and farm animals. Both additions will boost the pet veterinary industry further in the coming years.
12. Pet groomers in India can expect to make between $130 and $325 per month.
With so many people continuing to adopt pets, there is a demand for professional pet groomers in India. If the groomer can establish a strong clientele, they can make up to $325 each month.
- See Also: 10 Kenya Pet Industry Statistics To Know
Frequently Asked Questions About India’s Pet Industry
What is lacking in India’s pet industry?
Pet food manufacturers in India cannot keep up with the demand while maintaining quality. They depend on imports for up to 50% of their products. The growth of this market is being obstructed by higher taxes, an uncertain business environment, and a lack of quality standards. It’s up to the Indian government to improve these things to further develop this sector. (CNBCTV18)
Is pet food regulated in India?
The animal food industry is not strictly regulated and there are no regulations in place to control safety aspects. While the pet food market is rising, it’s still significantly less than in countries like the U.S. and the U.K. (Sathguru)
What is the most pet-friendly city in India?
Bengaluru is the most pet-friendly city in India, followed by Mumbai. In a survey of 1,500 pet owners, 70% of them in India say that their city is moderately pet friendly. Another 12.4% reported that their cities were very pet friendly, while 14.5% said their cities were not pet friendly at all.
Even though dog ownership is growing, 30% of dog owners reported that their neighbors disliked them because they owned a dog. A surprising 95% of respondents said that they want their local authorities to run programs that teach children to be kind and empathetic toward animals. (Times of India)
What is the largest pet market in India?
In Kolkata, Galiff Street is home to India’s oldest and biggest pet market. It’s also known as Bagbazar Sokher Haat and is open weekly from morning to afternoon. The market sells birds, dogs, cats, rabbits, and more at affordable prices. It even has a variety of flowers to choose from. (ED Times)
- You may also be interested in: 21 Pet Startups To Look Out For
The statistics show that India’s pet industry is growing each year. With so many people in the country embracing pet ownership, it’s clear that this industry will continue to see an increase in sales in the coming years.
Pets are becoming increasingly important to pet owners, who are willing to spend more to keep their pets happy and healthy.
Featured Image Credit: Mila Supinskaya Glashchenko, Shutterstock