One of the most important parts of pet parenting is feeding your furry friend a high-quality diet packed full of the right nutrients. As far as hamsters are concerned, these omnivorous rodents will thrive on a daily diet of commercial hamster pellets, Timothy hay, and the occasional fruit, veggie, or grain treat.
As a hamster owner, you may be wondering what types of human foods your little pal can eat. Fortunately, there is a long list of human foods that your hamster can safely consume.
If you want to add a tasty tidbit to your hamster’s next dish, here are some human food options that are perfectly safe for hamsters to eat in moderation.
The Following Foods Are Safe For Hamsters to Eat
As we stated before, hamsters are omnivores. This means that they need a good mix of greens, grains, and non-veg items in their diet. Here are some hamster-friendly fruits that you can safely feed your hamster.
- Apples: You can safely feed red or green apples to your hamster. However, do not give her brown apples or apple seeds.
- Bananas: Garnish your cereal with this delicious fruit and while you’re at it, share a tiny slice with your hamster! Only give your pet banana pieces in moderation. The high sugar content can lead to obesity and diabetes.
- Grapes: Grapes and raisins are both perfectly safe for a hamster to consume. Just be sure to wash the grape thoroughly to get rid of any possible pesticides before offering it to your pet.
- Peaches: Yes, you can treat your hamster to a peach! Just forego feeding her the stone.
- Tomatoes: Just don’t let your hamster eat the seeds.
- Watermelon: Your hamster will enjoy munching on the flesh of this gourd. Serve it to her in moderation to avoid diarrhea and dehydration.
With all of these fresh fruit options, you should always feed them to your hamster in moderation.
The Vegetables that Hamsters Can Safely Eat
Not only will your little rodent pal love to dine on fruits, but she also enjoys vegetables! Here is a list of some common greens that you can safely feed your hamster.
- Celery: This crisp, green veggie is great for hamsters. It promotes dental health because they have to chew it.
- Corn: Offer your hamster a small piece of corn on the cob. She’ll love chewing off the small bits.
- Cucumber: Fresh cucumber is an amazing treat for hamsters. But since it is high in water content, too many cucumbers can lead to dehydration and diarrhea.
- Parsnip: Always boil this veggie. Never serve it raw.
- Peas: These affordable veggies are the perfect bite-sized hamster treat.
Some other hamster-approved vegetables include broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, and squash.
- Can Hamsters Eat Cabbage? What You Need to Know!
- Can Hamsters Eat Parsley? What You Need to Know!
- Can Hamsters Eat Popcorn? What You Need to Know!
A handful of seeds makes the perfect snack. Share your love for seeds with your hamster by offering her one of these options.
- Pumpkin seeds: These large gourd seeds make the perfect tidbit for larger hamsters.
- Sunflower seeds: This type of seed is a popular choice for hamsters. Loaded with necessary fats and vitamins, sunflower seeds make a healthy snack.
Nuts for Hamsters
Being omnivores, hamsters also adore nuts! Try offering one of these types of nuts to your hammie today.
- Peanuts: Your hamster can enjoy an unsalted peanut. It’s also an excellent source of protein for your pet.
- Walnuts: Yes, hamsters can safely eat walnuts. Just feed her these nuts in moderation to avoid obesity.
Related Read: Can Hamsters Eat Peanut Butter? What You Need to Know!
Other Hamster-Friendly Human Foods
Additional human foods your hamster can safely eat include:
What Not to Feed to Your Hamster
Not all human foods are suitable for hamsters. Avoid junk food at all costs. Additionally, avoid feeding your pet sugared, salted, or seasoned foods. Other human foods hamsters shouldn’t eat include:
Whenever you introduce any new type of food to your hamster’s diet, you should so in a slow manner. Try giving her a small piece mixed in with her regular pellets to see if she likes it.
Hamsters can pig out on a wide variety of human foods. Just be sure to give your pet these treats in moderation to avoid excess weight gain. Nobody likes a tubby hamster!
- Can Hamsters Eat Cat Food? Everything You Need to Know!
- Can Hamsters Eat Bird Food? What You Need to Know!
- Can Hamsters Eat Rabbit Food? What You Need to Know!
Featured Image Credit: Pixabay