Petkeen is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commision. Learn More
9 DIY Reptile Enclosures You Can Build Today
Are you a proud owner of a snake, lizard, turtle, or bearded dragon? Or maybe looking to get your first reptile pet? Either way, giving them a great enclosure will make them feel safe and welcome in your home.
If you’re the crafty type, you’ll be interested to know that there are plenty of options for DIY reptile enclosures that you can build today! So, when you’re ready to learn how to build a reptile enclosure for your scaly friend, take a look through our list of the 9 best DIY plans for reptiles of every species.
1. Upcycled Bookshelf DIY Reptile Enclosure from Instructables
We love any DIY plan that can take disused furniture and make it into something great. If you have an extra bookcase that’s not storing your novels any longer, why not turn it into an awesome reptile enclosure with these plans from Instructables? It’ll take a little bit of DIY know-how to finish, but is well worth the time and effort.
2. Upcycled Windows DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Animals at Home
Animals at Home has provided these unique plans to turn old windows into a custom enclosure for your reptile friend. They’re quite tricky to build, but the video found with the plans will clear up any questions you might have along the way.
3. Simple DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Aussie Pythons
The reptile-lovers from down under at Aussie Pythons were kind enough to share these clear and concise instructions for a custom-built DIY snake enclosure. You’ll need a fair number of tools to get it done, and an electric saw such as a jigsaw makes it much quicker and easier. With directions to install your own wiring, it’s truly an all-in-one DIY plan.
4. Wooden DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Reptile Range
We love the simplicity of these DIY plans from Reptile Range. Anyone with basic tools and a desire to learn should be able to make this after a trip to the hardware store for supplies.
5. Entertainment Center DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
Another awesome option for upcycling old furniture, this reptile enclosure from Instructables is made out of an old entertainment center! Since most of the construction has already been done for you, it’s a great project for people short on time who are willing to follow directions closely. Plus, it’s one of the largest DIY reptile enclosures you can build.
6. Custom DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
If you have access to the tools of a woodworking shop, these DIY plans from Instructables make for a sturdy and easily customized enclosure. Equally suitable for snakes, turtles, or lizards, it’s a fairly advanced project that requires considerable time and effort.
7. Acrylic Terrarium DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
Small reptiles don’t get as much love in most DIY plans, but this tiny acrylic enclosure from Instructables more than makes up for a lack of options. For how impressive it looks, it actually requires very little in the way of tools or skills – just a willingness to learn new things as you work with acryclic.
8. Bookcase DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
You can turn any thrift store bookcase find into a fully outfitted reptile enclosure with these plans from Instructables. Since most of the wood construction is already done for you, all you’ll need to do is install the windows, decorations, and heat lamps to make it a complete home for your lizards or snakes.
- Looking for food that won’t escape the enclosure? Try: 9 Best Worms for Bearded Dragons
9. Bearded Dragon DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
Specially designed to house a bearded dragon, this enclosure from Instructables has simple materials but requires quite a few power tools. If you’re willing to put in the effort to make it though, you’ll be rewarded with an all-in-one home for your bearded dragon that’s durable and customizable.
Caring for reptiles requires specialized habitats, and these can often be quite expensive to buy from the store. With these DIY enclosure plans, we hope that you’ve been inspired to learn how to build a reptile enclosure for your reptile that will keep them happy and healthy for years to come.
For more DIY projects check out these posts:
- 8 DIY Hamster Cages You Can Build Today
- 10 DIY Hamster Bin Cages You Can Build Today
- 5 DIY Chinchilla Cage Plans You Can Build Today
- 12 Guinea Pig Cage Plans You Can DIY Today
Featured Image: PIRO4D from Pixabay
Oliver (Ollie) Jones – A zoologist and freelance writer living in South Australia with his partner Alex, their dog Pepper, and their cat Steve (who declined to be pictured). Ollie, originally from the USA, holds his master’s degree in wildlife biology and moved to Australia to pursue his career and passion but has found a new love for working online and writing about animals of all types.
- 1. Upcycled Bookshelf DIY Reptile Enclosure from Instructables
- 2. Upcycled Windows DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Animals at Home
- 3. Simple DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Aussie Pythons
- 4. Wooden DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Reptile Range
- 5. Entertainment Center DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
- 6. Custom DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
- 7. Acrylic Terrarium DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
- 8. Bookcase DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
- 9. Bearded Dragon DIY Reptile Enclosure Plans from Instructables
- Final Thoughts