Pet Keen is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.

Home > Dogs > My Dog Ate Oreos: Should I Be Worried? Vet Approved Advice

My Dog Ate Oreos: Should I Be Worried? Vet Approved Advice

sandwich cookies oreo

Vet approved

Dr. Ashley Darby Photo

Reviewed & Fact-Checked By

Dr. Ashley Darby

Veterinarian, BVSc

The information is current and up-to-date in accordance with the latest veterinarian research.

Learn more »

Our faithful companions often want to sample some of what we’re eating, even if it’s not good for them. But when you have treats like Oreos, it’s best not to share them with your dog. Oreos are not healthy or safe for your dog. The toxic chemicals are theobromine and caffeine. However, this toxicity is dose-dependent meaning you have to take into account the size of the dog and the amount of cocoa ingested.

If your dog snuck one normal Oreo, you don’t necessarily need to be worried, unless they are very tiny. Some Oreos such as the chocolate-coated or chocolate stuffing varieties have higher amounts of harmful ingredients, so it is always worth a phone call to the vet when your dog has eaten an Oreo. If your dog has eaten anything other than standard Oreos, be sure to check the ingredient list. Food manufacturers will sometimes use xylitol as an artificial sweetener but this is very toxic to dogs.


Are Oreos Safe for Dogs?

No, Oreos are not safe for dogs. Oreos have a lot of ingredients that can cause problems for your dog.

First, Oreos contain chocolate, but it’s in low quantities. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is like caffeine—another toxic ingredient—that dogs metabolize more slowly than other species. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for dogs.

With Oreos, one typically isn’t enough for a toxic dose of chocolate, but it’s not healthy or safe, either. The signs of chocolate toxicity include diarrhea, vomiting, drinking more than usual, panting, excessive urination, and a racing heart rate. In severe cases, it can cause seizures, muscle tremors, coma, heart failure, and death.

Oreos are also high in sugar and fat, neither of which is good for dogs. Eating a lot of fat and sugar can cause obesity, which leaves your dog susceptible to problems such as joint disease, pancreatitis, diabetes, and even some cancers.

In large amounts, the high-fat content can trigger pancreatitis. When the pancreas becomes inflamed, it’s extremely painful for your dog and may cause a lack of appetite, diarrhea, and vomiting. If the attack is severe, it can be life-threatening

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Oreos?

As mentioned, one Oreo isn’t likely to cause issues for a larger dog. Eating several Oreos, or even one Oreo for a small breed, can cause illness, however. Depending on your dog’s age, weight, and any preexisting health conditions, the number of Oreos they ate can cause chocolate toxicity or acute pancreatitis.

In general, any time your dog eats something that could be dangerous, it’s best to contact your vet to get their recommendation and watch for signs of illness. Any signs will require veterinary consultation and potential treatment. Monitor for clinical signs, such as:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Trembling, shaking, seizures, or coma
  • Panting or an increased heart rate
  • Tense stomach or abdominal swelling
  • Unsuccessful attempts to vomit or defecate
dalmatian dog looking sick
Image Credit: Alexander Hagseth, Shutterstock



Oreos are not a safe or healthy treat for your dog. Aside from the risk of chocolate toxicity, Oreos are also high in fat and sugar that can cause obesity, pancreatitis, diabetes, or in some cases, bloat. It’s best to avoid feeding Oreos to your dog, and if they sneak one, call your vet to determine the next steps.

Featured Image Credit: Ontalathief, Shutterstock

Our vets

Want to talk to a vet online?

Whether you have concerns about your dog, cat, or other pet, trained vets have the answers!

Our vets